|  Home |  Canada Trips |  US Trips |  Hiking |  Snowshoeing |  MAP |  About

Miner’s Peak
Kananaskis, Alberta
January 2, 2010

Distance: 6.2 km
Cumulative Elevation Gain: 820 m

Looking for a quick trip, we hiked up Miner's Peak which overlooks Canmore. Although it shares 85% of its route with Ha Ling Peak, the other 15% presents a higher summit with an unexpected challenge. A short, narrow ridge leads to the summit which on a calm day in dry conditions would be easy to cross. But strong winds threatened to toss me over the side. While Dinah hung back, I carefully made my way to the top. Too windy to stand, I shot a panorama while on my knees before exiting.

KML and GPX Tracks

The well-trodden trail presented no problems

East End of Rundle in the background

The views began to open up

Looking down Goat Creek valley

We reached the treeline

On the ridge with Ha Ling behind

Miner's Peak is above me

Making our way to the summit on the left

Ascend of Rundle and Ha Ling Peak in the background

Grotto Mountain

Almost at the summit

I crossed a short ridge to the summit

The narrow summit ridge would be easy to cross in calm weather

Wind kicked up snow on the way down

Dinah nears the saddle

82 O/3 Canmore

Canada | Home